Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Charlotte Howell: Hidden Masterpieces

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on the Park Traces Residency in Hanley Park.  This was the first artist residency that I have applied for and I hope to do more in the future.  The experience was very fulfilling, knowing that we have helped in the regeneration of Hanley Park.

I came up with many ideas from strolling around the area and researching into the Park's heritage.  At first, after having a group discussion at AirSpace Gallery, I intended to install picture frames around the Park, so that the grounds could be seen as art in their own right.  Although I wanted to create an artwork that was interactive with the public.
I then thought about the idea of an Orienteering Course, allowing people of all ages to take part in a Treasure Hunt around the Park.  'Hidden Masterpieces' was created to entice people into the area.  I tend to look at the precise details of places focussing on their decorative exteriors.  Therefore I took close-up images of areas found within the Park.  I felt that it was important for the public to notice the artistic aspects that the grounds have to offer rather than focussing on its tired exterior.
Cards were given out containing 12 close-up images of places around the Bowling Green and The Bandstand.  Inviting the public to search for the specific locations on their cards.  At each point was a Tag that held a unique letter.  The participants were told to record the letters in order for them to spell out a twelve-letter word relating to the Park.  All of the successful participants were rewarded with a prize.
I felt that my piece went well, each person that took part was dedicated to finding all of the locations and winning the prize at the end.  All of the children seemed to enjoy the activity and could be seen roaming around the Park looking for the secret locations.  Some of the locations were harder to find than others, but with some help each of them managed to complete the course.
One participant told me that she had found it difficult for her child to take part in an activity in Hanley Park.  She was very pleased when she came across 'Hidden Masterpieces' as it meant that she and her daughter could enjoy a single activity that could last the afternoon.
In the future I am thinking of creating more activities of a similar genre.  The courses could be used in any Park that is in need of regeneration or as a fun activity enticing members of the public into the area.

I feel that we helped to encourage more members of the public into Hanley Park.  The future is promising for the area as many social groups use the area already, including Anglers, Tennis Players, Cricket Players and Runners.  The 5K running event is held every Saturday at 9am in the Park and around the world.  The only concerns about the area are its maintenance and security.

No comments:

Post a Comment