Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Spring Walk One

It was the practical beginning of the Park Traces project, as I did my first walk today. To really get to grips with the context and methods to be used I am kicking off with a series of Spring Walks, the first of these are solitary, but later I intend to invite other people to walk with me. These walks will be photo walks, text walks, sound walks and other walks.
I have never done a dedicated sound walk before, although I have recorded audio on a walk before, I have never set out for the walk to be a sound walk, so thought it would be a good way to start, as I think it would be true to say that often the other senses take over.
It was very interesting to walk the park this way. My hearing became ultra sensitised, as I walked, thinking about what I was hearing and how it might come out on the audio. I found myself wanting to walk slightly differently to the usual route I might take through the park, considering the sounds I might come across, and on occasion, rerouting in order to include a sound. The route taken looks like an upside down bird of prey in the end, well at least the head and shoulders of one. Sounds I heard on the walk include:
Spring should be here, and I did see signs that it is on the way. The sun was out, though not warm, but there were still patches of snow in places. Considering it is still school holidays the park was relatively empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment